Hampton-on-the-Hill, Warwick, CV35 8QR


The Church was built by the Dormer family of Grove Park, who owned most of the village. It is a T-plan church built in two phases.

The current transepts represent the single cell church (started in 1807 but only completed in 1819) in a Georgian Perpendicular style, articulated by delicate clustered shafts, which continue above a cornice up to a ridge as ribs dividing the panels of the ceiling.

The original altar was at the south end and behind this is a five-light Perpendicular window.

In 1830 John Russell of Leamington Spa added a nave running from the centre of the first church and a shallow altar recess in the east wall. This addition is a heavier and more advanced style with two-light windows in the nave, depicting the Annunciation and the Nativity scenes. In the interior these are straight-headed but on the outside of the church the mullions continue in the Perpendicular pointed style!)

There is also a big perpendicular window above the west entrance with significantly thicker mullions, depicting Christ the King with the Virgin Many at St Charles on either side.

The paintings above the altar table are on paper mounted on board and show St Sebastian, St Charles, St Augustine of Canterbury and St George.

Above the present north transept is the Dormer tribune (now the organ and choir loft) for the use of the Dormer family.


Clergy / Leader: Canon Edward M Stewart

Telephone: 01926 492263
Website: www.stcharles-borromeo.org.uk

Activities:

Sunday Mass Times are 9.30 and 11 a.m.

Christmas Mass Times: December 24 at 7 p.m. a Vigil mass with carols and 11.30 a.m. carols leading in to Midnight Mass. Christmas Day - Mass at 10 a.m. with carols.